Shocking Arguing

I was listening earlier to an interview (click for link) with Doug Pagitt on the Way of the Master radio show. To set the scene, let me tell you a bit about the players: Way of the Master has a reputation of being unashamedly fundamental.  Pagitt on  the other hand, is one of the leading voices in the Emerging movement, which I think I've written enough about for you to get the picture that he's not fundamental.

This is obviously a volatile mix , but nothing could prepare me for the train-wreck of  a conversation that follows. The interviewer, Todd Friel, pulled no punches in addressing the controversial elements of the emerging movement. I thought, maybe that Pagitt would tactfully dodge the questions, hopefully engage them and maybe show himself to be closer to orthodox Christianity.(i.e. the truth of Christianity as seen by the historical consensus), but no...

Instead he pretty much acted like a jerk. He disingenuously feigned ignorance of commonly held Christian beliefs and laughed out loud at the fairly reasonable questions of Todd Friel. He did nothing to defend his own view that everyone is saved regardless of faith in Christ. He instead acted like someone would be stupid for ever thinking that Heaven or Hell are physical places. Beyond patronising.

Now, I've often seen arrogance in discussions like this, I've never seen anything like this.


Doug Pagitt in my eyes, has wrecked his witness and let pride get in the way of any chance of engaging seriously in matter of faith.

If you know me or have read this blog at all, then you know that I'm an idea guy. I love looking at different ways of thinking with pragmatism and logic. I like to see why people believe what they do and if I see faulty logic or bad thinking, it bothers me.

I can be arrogant. I can get overexcited. I can let my judgement of the other side get in the way of communicating my own views. (Please don't mention Barack Obama to me; you won't like what you see.)

But I don't want to be that guy.
I want to embrace clarity in beliefs.
 I want my strengths and interest in it to be a part of my ministry. I think its important especially in youth work and sharing faith with young adults.
But please, God, give me the love and self-control to stay level-headed and always to talk out of love and never for my own pride.

0 comments: